Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Books Books Books

Butterfly in the sky....I can go twice as high....take a look...it's in a book...the Reading Rainbow.... Okay, I'm just trying to set the mood here. My children LOVE to read. I say, it's because of the lack of T.V. (we don't even own one) and video games. Just this morning I spent half an hour looking at books with my one year old. Pretty cool. And, let me tell you, we have A LOT of books. At first we tried to keep them all on a book shelf but with children running and grabbing books every minute, that was a mess. Now we have a book box. That way all they have to do throw the book back in when they are done. So, for those of you who have children who are old enough to enjoy stories here are some of our classic, all-time, favorite books!

Mouse Paint - by Ellen Stoll Walsh. I am an artist at heart. I love art but have no talent for it. It probably stems from my years of working at an art museum in college or being married to a super creative guy. This book is a great educational tool for teaching children about colors. Plus, those little mice are so stinking cute. If you give a mouse a cookie- by Laura Joffe Numeroff. A total classic. If you have children and don't have this book, get it. John still has his copy from when he was a boy. Any of this series are great. My personal favorite is If you give a pig a pancake.Any Maisy book- by Lucy Cousins. My children love this character. Simple pictures and stories. So simple it makes me think I could write children books, but the kiddo's love her.
Friends- by Helme Heine. Quite possibly my favorite children's book of all time. The illustrations are adorable and the story is so sweet.

That Magnetic Dog- by Bruce Whatley. Fun book, great pictures. It makes me want to go out and get a dog and I'm not even a dog person.

I could go on and on but these are top of the list. So, go to your library, check them out, and enjoy! But ya don't have to take my word for it....(did you get the reading rainbow throw back???)

~A

4 comments:

Erika said...

Malia is in love with books too. Yeah for no TV! I think that's awesome. We do own one but we don't have cable so other than recently with the Olympics, it's very rarely on.

Marie said...

Awww the Friends book really is the cutest book ever. I'm so glad you got me that for my bday last year. It does remind me of us. What kind of bananas do you like? Devin will eat it even if it's mostly brown (ewwww).

Carmen said...

I hope to foster this love in Hannah too! Thanks for the recommendations!

annaO said...

reading rainbow was one of my favorite shows as a kid. i hope my kids will be readers. i can't imagine that they wouldn't be. justin and i are both readers.