Pages

Monday, August 18, 2008

This one's for you Eeka!

I told my friend Erica that I would give her a healthier version of Bisquick. In case you didn't know, Bisquick (or any other baking mix, really) has bad stuff in it. Trans fats, if my memory serves me correct. So here is my version that has no "bad stuff" in it.

7 c. flour
1/4 c baking powder
1 1/2 c powdered milk
1T. salt
1 c. shortening* (see note)

Mix thoroughly with mixer or by hand. Store in tight container and use as needed.

* a note: When using shortening you have to make sure you get the kind with no trans fats in it. Even the "new" Criso which boasts of having not trans fats does. Look at the label. Partially hydrogentated oils = trans fats. I buy the kind they sell in the organic section of the grocery store. It's a little more expensive than Crisco but I use it so infrequently and it's so much better for you that it justifies itself.

Enjoy!

P.S. Erica that pancake recipe looked very yummy and I can't wait to try it out!

Running the race,
~A

2 comments:

Erika said...

Awesome! I'll have to remember to come to you with all my healthy food questions. :)

Amy said...

Wooo hooo!!! I'm not sure if you were in MinTeam by this time or not, but when the entire MinTeam went to East Asia, they left me behind with a recipe book. Needless to say, they are my favorites, and I"m adding this one to the collection.

Love you, friend and miss you like crazy. I love reading your blog and hearing your heart!!!!