Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Make Ahead Breakfast:: Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal

I will openly admit that I am not an early riser. As much as I would love to be up at the crack of dawn getting lots of stuff done before the Littles get up...I've tried. And I've failed. Honestly, it isn't that bad getting up with the children. We have a system that works pretty well. The one thing that has given me trouble though, is breakfast. My children are the type who are ready to eat as soon as they get up. In fact the first thing they do when they get up is come knock on our door and say "Mommy? Can I have a banana? I'm huuuuuungry." And since turning over our new leaf a couple years ago it's really important that I either have something ready to go or something I can fix quickly.

Enter: Baked Oatmeal! I have been making this recipe for years now. It was given to me by a Mennonite friend and I have adapted it some over the years to make it a little more healthy. My whole family loves it. There are usually cheers of joy whenever I announce we are having it for breakfast. I usually bake it the night before and then warm it up, covered in foil, for about 15 minutes the next morning. It's easy to make and yummy to eat!

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal

1 c. oil (for an extra boost of nutrition use coconut oil)
1 c. sucanat (or brown sugar)
4 eggs
6 c. rolled oats
4 t. baking powder
2 t. salt
2 c. apple juice
3 apples chopped
1-2 t. cinnamon

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and then pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350* for 40 minutes. Serve warm in a bowl with milk poured over it. Mmmm....
This recipe lasts my family of 6 about 2 days with a little left over. It's also super adaptable. Half it. Double it. Add some ground nutmeg or cloves. Instead of apples use blueberries or strawberries. Or my all time favorite way to eat baked oatmeal...with PEACHES! Oh, yum.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Steve, Amanda, Kyle , Owen, and Madilyn said...

Yummy...this sound really good and I think I might just have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

My family made this when I was young... I still make it for my family. This is a great thing to make ahead and freeze. I make huge batches. One time I got confused as to what my "double batch" was and ended up doubling the double... I had 2 dozen eggs, 48 cups of oats, over a gallon of milk, almost a cup of baking powder.... It is my FAVORITE make ahead breakfast!

Erika said...

Hmmm, I might try this. You have great recipe ideas. :)

Gina said...

We love baked oatmeal at our house too! Our favorite way to eat it is by adding a can of drained crushed pineapple. Its just so delicious.

When I use apples, sometimes I put the apples all on the bottom and then the oatmeal mixture on top. Its kind of like an apple crisp. Even without the apples sweetened separately, its perfect! This is just a terrific thing to have for breakfast.