Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Homemade Tortillas

I finally decided to jump on the bandwagon and made my own tortillas. We go through a lot of tortillas in this house. A. Lot. I had been seeing recipes all over the internet, hearing how absolutely wonderful they were, and knew they would be cheaper and healthier homemade then store bought. And let me just say, they did not disappoint!

With so many recipes online I wasn't quite sure which on to go with. The recipe I finally decided on had two ingredients that I was really excited about: whole wheat flour and coconut oil. Two years ago we bought a grain mill and have been using freshly ground wheat ever since. WOW! There is a huge difference between freshly ground wheat flour and store bought. Trust me, people. If you use wheat flour a lot you might want to invest in one. I also try to use coconut oil as much as possible because of the nutritional value.

So with Lilly as my helper we were on our way!

I used my kitchen aid to mix up the dough and then shaped them into little balls.

We borrowed a tortilla press from a friend. If you are planning on making them regularly, get one! It made it a breeze. You can tell by Lilly's furrowed brow she was really putting her all into it. :)

We had quite the audience while we worked.


We cooked them for about 30 seconds on each side and
Viola!

Homemade Tortillas! It was pretty hard for us not to eat them right as they came off the griddle. They were delicious! We made about four batches and they were all gone within about a week. Yum! Warmed with butter, made into little pizzas, rolled up with turkey, lettuce, and tomato (and maybe I even spread some peanut butter and chocolate chips on some..) it was all so good.

Here is the recipe I used.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

We eat alot of tortillas here too but I've never tried making my own! Thanks for the recipe! They look yummy!

Unknown said...

Hey Amanda,
Kelly told me Sunday about your blog and so i hopped over to visit :) You are so right about homemade tortillas. We like to eat them with a Belizean soup called eschebache. Mmmmmm!
Now I'm going to see if I can "follow" you on here :)
Have a good evening!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

We love homemade tortillas! Glad you "jumped on the bandwagon!" :)