Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Good ol' Mennonite recipe

You simply must try this cake recipe. It is so amazingly delicious, it might just be my favorite. The first time I tried it was shortly after Luke was born and someone from church had brought us a meal and this was the dessert. It is, indeed, a good ol' Mennonite recipe which means it isn't very healthy. You could make a few changes. Substitute whole wheat flour and cut back on the sugar. But the original is so yummy that I dare not. I hope you enjoy!

Apple Cake with Warm Cinnamon Sauce

4 c. apples, grated coursely
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped nuts

Mix sugar and apples; set aside. Beat eggs slightly, then beat in oil, vanilla, and apples. Mix and sift dry ingredients and stir into apple mixture. Add nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350* for 1 hour. Serve warm with cinnamon sauce and ice cream.

Cinnamon sauce:

2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. clear jell or cornstarch
2 c. water

Mix and cook until thick and clear; remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons butter.


Yah. I told you it wasn't healthy. I rarely make it for that reason but when I do....it's wonderful. :) May God bless your today!

Running the race,
~A

No comments: