Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

A bit of randomness

Note: If you are skipping over here from the "Keeper of the Home" website and looking for my tip(s) on organic budgeting, scroll down. :)

I've been doing really well at getting up early in the morning. Hubby-kins has started a new schedule of going in between 6:00 and 6:30 and then he comes home somewhere between 3:00 and 3:30. We love it! It helps us both get up early in the morning (which we've wanted to do for years) and then he gets to come home earlier in the afternoon. This morning, though, I found a potential problem with my plan.

Meet Bradley

Bradley has inherited his mother's "light sleeper" gene. Usually when I get up in the morning I'm relatively quiet. I get dressed, read the Bible, pray, make the bed, check my email, etc. But this morning I thought I'd bake muffins. Apparently the rustle and bustle in the kitchen was enough to wake him up. He woke up and, not being tall enough to turn the door knob in his room, started yelling "Mama! Mama!" Not only waking up his brother but his sister too. I had a totally selfish moment this morning, which God really had to put in check for me. You see, my morning time is my only free time during the day (note the selfishness here! My time!). I have two children who don't take naps anymore so I go all day long. This morning as I started mixing up my batter (dough?) for the muffins I was thinking about all the things I wanted to get done this morning before the children got up. When I heard his little voice I knew I wouldn't get those done. And to be honest, I was upset! How selfish am I?? God really had to speak to me and say "Enjoy these times, Amanda. They'll soon grow up and be gone!" Sigh...sniff...very true. Thankfully I have a loving Father who helps me see these things before it's too late!

On a totally different subject I made a great recipe last night that I thought I'd share. It comes from the pioneer woman,
which normally I don't take very many recipes from, not that they aren't good, they just aren't very healthy. But I saw this recipe on her website and knew I had to make it. Lilly and John are major soup fans. So, I'm always looking for different soups. And, this, was a GOOD soup. I really liked it too. Try it!

One last bit of randomness! Lately my quiet times have been...well...drab. Please, tell me I'm not the only one who goes through these time! I just don't really feel like I'm connecting with God the way I could be. I'd be interested to hear what your quiet times look like? Do you use a devotional? If so, any recommendations? When starting a new portion of the Word, how do you decide where to study? And not just reading the Word but any tips you'd like to share. Praise? Prayer? Service? I'd love to hear it!

Okay, I just thought of one more thing to share. I'm having a baby in a month and a half!
A month and a half, people!! Yah, it hit me at the doctors office on Wednesday. I came home and starting cleaning and organizing like crazy! I am supposed to get the cloth diapers and accessories (what? You didn't know cloth diapers had accessories??) in the mail sometime today. Next on the list...getting down the baby clothes!

Well, thanks for checking in with me today. It's getting to be school time around these parts and so I'd better be going. Hope your day is as blessed as mine has been already!

Running the race,
~A



2 comments:

Marie said...

I don't think it's selfish to want some time to just be alone in the morning. You need that time to re-energize so you can be a better mom for your kids. Don't feel bad about that. I get frustrated too when I do a good job getting up early and Addison wakes up too. I feel like it defeats the whole point! :) I am glad John is getting home earlier in the day. That's great!

Anonymous said...

I love cauliflower soup!! I will definitely be trying this recipe out; thank you!

As for quiet times being drab, I know exactly (well maybe not exactly but you get the drift) how you feel. This morning, for example, I said out loud to God, "God...I really don't know what to talk about right now. I'm reading this scripture and it's just not sinking in. Maybe I'm too tired? Can you help wake me up?" :)

You know what I'm going to tell you? The same thing you'd tell me!! Pray about it lady, He will help you out of this funk!!

jenifriend