Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

Stretch that Budget!

Most of us know that buying organic food is the best way to go. But, Yikes!, those prices can be steep. Especially if you eat lots of fruits and veggies like my family does. So, I thought I'd share a simple way to stretch your organic budget. There are foods that are more or less contaminated. It would be a wise idea to buy these items organically:

Fruits:
peaches, strawberries, apples, nectarines, pears, cherries, raspberries, and grapes

Veggies:
spinach, celery, potatoes, green beans, winter squash, and sweet bell peppers

These fruits and veggies are relatively free of pesticide residues. You can stretch your budget further by buying these items non-organically:

Fruits:
pineapple, mangos, bananas, kiwis, and papayas

Veggies:
Sweet corn (although, watch out for GMO's!) avacado, cauliflower, asparagus, onions, peas, and broccoli

Of course, I'm not some sort of organic expert! But from what I've heard those bottom ones are safer than the others. And the best, BEST way to get your produce?? Have your own garden! That way you know where the seeds come from, what's in the dirt, what's been sprayed on them, etc. Gardening season is coming up, people! I've already gotten two of my seed catalogs in the mail! Oh boy! Here are a few gardening pictures to get you motivated!

Ohhh...

Ahhh...

Oops! How did that slip in there? Aw...they sure are cute though!


Thanks for reading!
Running the race,
~A

3 comments:

Carmen said...

What seed catalogs do you get? I'm gearing up for a great gardening season! :)

Amanda said...

I've gotten my Seed Savers and Burpee catalogs! One kind I would TOTALLY recommend comes from Seed Savers and it's called "Mexican Midget" grape tomatoes. Oh, Carmen they were SOOOO good. My children can eat those things by the buckets full! I'm thinking I might plant 6 of just those!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips, Amanda!! This is wonderful information; keep it coming!!