Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

Helping Those Who Hurt- A book review


As Christians we are called to minister to those who hurt.

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. ~James 1:27

I wanted to read this book because it seems whenever someone is going through a crisis I always feel a little awkward. Not knowing what to say or do for that person. Of course, in my heart, I want to help them as much as possible but I just wasn't sure how to do that. Helping those who Hurt by Barbara M. Roberts is a book that helps us serve those who have been hurt and need a loving presence. It has such a wide range of topics. From hospitalization to aging, or addiction to abuse, there is advice for almost every situation. She gives you some general information about each situation. Ideas for what to say to a person going through a crisis, lists of do's and don'ts , resources, and even information written directly to a person who is hurting. I would say this book is a must have for anyone who is wanting to go into pastoral caregiving and a great read for anyone who knows someone who hurts. Everyone!

1 comment:

Our growing family said...

this looks wonderful!!! 'll add it to my book list!