Pages

Friday, November 7, 2008

Compassion


Most of you who know me know how much of a heart I have for Compassion International. I've been involved with them for 8 years now, through sponsorship and in college I worked with a group of about 4 other KSU students to help spread the word. In college I had hopes of graduating and going to work for compassion but motherhood called my name a little earlier then I had planned (and I don't regret it!). The more I get familiar with this organization the more I love them. For those of you who haven't heard of it, the idea is really pretty simple. Just like the logo says, "releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name. You sign up for a child (if you want you can choose gender, country, age, etc) they send you a packet full of information of a specific child and then you send $32 a month, which gives this little life food, medicine, education and more importantly the Good News of Jesus. The stories I hear from other sponsors are so moving and touching. A lot of you who read this blog read the Pioneer Woman too. Her husband and two daughter just got back from a trip to the Dominican Republic with compassion. If you haven't read the account of it all you really should. I loved it.


My little guys name is Ebed. He's from the Philippians. I've really enjoyed getting to know him over the past couple years. He wants to be a policeman. He loves to play marbles. He's in second grade and he's learning that Jesus loves him. And while I know our money and prayers are helping him have a brighter future, I think he is doing a lot more for my family. We get to pray for him. My children get to learn about a different culture and that not everyone has the same opportunities we do. They also get to learn to pray for other believers.

So, why all of this? I just felt led to be honest. If you've ever thought about sponsoring a child I would highly encourage you to do so. I have learned so much over my past years of being a part of it all. Thanks for reading, again!

Running the race,
~A

No comments: