Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

My favorite muffins

Okay, technically, I have two muffin recipes that are tied for first in my book. One is Martha Stewart's blueberry muffins. They really are quite divine. Try it if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed. But this is a post about my other favorite muffin recipe...

Several years ago my mom and I were in a little junk store in my home town. They had tons of books at really great prices. Of course, I go right for the cookbooks. You did know I collect cookbooks, didn't you?? That is when I spied a cookbook whose cover was adorned with Amish people, quilts, and good ole country livin' pictures. I thought "This can't be bad!" and picked it up. It was worth my $3. Everything I have cooked out of this book has been delicious! One of the best parts about this muffin recipe is that you can make the batter and then put it in the fridge for up to 6 weeks. It makes breakfast a breeze in the morning. And we all know my obsession with quick and easy breakfasts!

Green Meadows six-week bran muffins

5 cups all purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 15 oz. box bran flakes with raisins (aka Raisin Bran)
3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 quart buttermilk (I mix 1 part plain yogurt to 3 parts milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a large bowl, mix first 6 ingredients. In a separate bowl beat eggs. Add oil, milk, and vanilla and blend. Pour egg mixture over flour mixture and mi
x well. Transfer batter to a large plastic container (I use a gallon sized pitcher) with a tight fitting lid, and store in the fridge until ready to use.
When ready to bake: do not stir the batter when dipping out to fill muffin tins. (I don't know why. That is just what Ms. Cookbook Lady says!) To bake, preheat oven to 375*. Fill paper lined muffin tins about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes (or 15, if your oven runs hot like mine). Let sit about 5 minutes before eating.

This makes about 5 dozen muffins and will last about 6 weeks in the fridge.
Simple and delicious!

2 comments:

mimory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mimory said...

Looks scrumptious! By the way, the reason you don't stir it is you will break up the little air pockets from the baking soda and buttermilk interaction. Baking soda is a liquid activated leavening, cream of tartar (tartaric acid) is a heat activated leavening, and baking powder is double action, meaning it has both baking soda and cream of tartar in it, for a double boost between liquids and heat. But baking soda works best with acids, like buttermilk or brown sugar, and if you stir it down, your muffins will still bake and taste fine, they just won't crown as high.

By the way, I love bran muffins and was looking for a good recipe just this past week, so I will give yours a definite try! I just need to buy some Raisin Bran first. :)


(note: i noticed several typos and a word deletion, so i reposted this. just an fyi!)